Independents Week – it’s about community!
Posted by unicorntreebooksboss on 3 July, 2009
This is based on the body of something I just posted on facebook and thought it deserved a bigger airing.
It comes from the fact in the US it is Independent Week, now here in the UK we have Indpendent’s Book Week that is a great idea, over in the states they are doing this – but their indie week is actaully for all indies regardless of type of business and this rocks!!
(Some links to find out more! http://amiba.net/independents_week.html)
The stats that are being released as to how buying from indies benefits the community they are based in do roughly hold true here too!
So it’s defintely worth considering and remembering that indie store owners live and work in the community and therefore pay fully towards it and are totally invested in it – is this truly true of chain stores or internet shops? yes the staff are local but the profits and put back where do they end up??
This is the body of text taken from the fantastic www.indiebound.com – The US based fantastic Independent Bookshops Website – I totally would love something like this here in the UK!
Why shop Indie?
When you shop at an independently owned business, your entire community benefits:
* Spend $100 at a local and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
* Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
* More of your taxes are reinvested in your community–where they belong.
* Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
* Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.
* Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
* Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
* More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.
Now is the time to stand up and join your fellow individuals in the IndieBound mission supporting local businesses and celebrating independents.
Now before anyone says it – I am not on about Independent’s Week – I know we do that as booksellers and publishers anyway, and most other business sphere’s have some sort of thing once a year as well.
What I am talking about is things like independent booksellers foundation and the real way the indies are working together for example via http://www.indiebound.org
We need to be doing this – regardless of the style, speciality or size of our indie stores, unite together but working indie style.
Bookshops aside indie shops of all sorts should be working together!
Supporting, networking, building our communities!
Yes the FSB does a good job (I am a member – www.fsb.org.uk/) but we need something more still – more focused on working together in the community and supporting each other.
Community centred but national and global in sharing idea’s and working together independently for the good of communities everywhere!
Come on let’s do it – and community come on share with us, support us, love us – we know we need you and we know we love you and will do that extra for you – you’re our neighbours and friends!
ps – this year at Christmas we gave over £100 to Lindon Listening Ears – a lincoln based Free Bereavment Counselling Service – we like to give to local charities! and we give to national ones too.